Hospitals & care settings
“Our Silver Catering Mark provides reassurance to patients that meals are of the highest quality and provenance.” Simon Wood, North Bristol NHS Trust
"Patient satisfaction jumped to 92% just two months after the new menus were introduced". Andreas Wingert, Circle, Hinchingbrooke Hospital
Bespoke support packages are now available to help hospitals and caterers improve the food served to patients, staff and visitors by achieving the Food for Life Catering Mark. We are offering 10% off support packages for a limited time only, get in touch to find out more.
It is widely recognised that good hospital food is an integral part of good patient care, known to improve patient outcomes and public health.
The Catering Mark provides an independent endorsement that meals are fresh, healthy, sustainable and meet the nutritional element of the Government Buying Standards.
Over 37,000 meals served to Catering Mark Standards in hospitals and care settings every day. NHS Trusts and their caterers are proving that it's possible to serve good food, at cost, and seeing the multiple benefits this provides to patients, staff, visitors, the local economy and hospital budgets.
Read a case study from Silver Catering Mark holder, North Bristol NHS Trust.
The Catering Mark...
- helps verify CQC standards in relation to food and hydration
- checks that menus comply with the nutritional element of the GBS
- is recognised by the Hospital Food Standards Panel as a tool to promote excellence
- is cited as an improvement benchmark in the Exemplar CQUIN on hospital food
- guarantees a good or excellent score in the Plan for Public Procurement balanced scorecard
Good food - a clinical priority
NHS Trusts now have a duty to promote local benefit through procurement, thanks to the Public Services (Social Value) Act.
NHS England and more recently the Department of Health’s Hospital Food Standards Panel have identified the Catering Mark as an effective way to promote excellence in hospital food and verify compliance with the GBS.
A new Exemplar CQUIN on hospital food cites the Catering Mark as a way to raise food standards , meaning hospitals and Clinical Commissioning Groups now have the opportunity to agree a financial incentive for achieving the Catering Mark Standards for food served to patients, staff and visitors. Download our FAQ on the Catering Mark and CQUIN here.
Download our support package to find out how we can work with you to improve the food in your hospital.
- Amey Community for one restaurant at Warwick Hospital (South Warwickshire Foundation Trust)
- City of Edinburgh Council, Health and Social Care at Clovenstone House, Ferrylee Care Home, Marionville Court Care Home and The Day Centre
- Connect Catering for Wavertree Court Care Home, Surrey
- Elior UK for St Bartholomew's (Barts) Hospital Trust for 4 hospitals: Mile End, Royal London, St Barts, Whipps Cross
- Harrogate & District NHS Foundation Trust for Harrogate Hospital patient meals & restaurant
- HC-One for 98 care homes in Scotland, North East England, Northern Ireland, North England, the Midlands, the South and Wales
- ISS Mediclean (Healthcare) for Broadgreen Hospital retail food
- ISS Mediclean (Healthcare) for The Calderdale Royal Hospital (retail branches)
- ISS Mediclean (Healthcare) for Coventry University Hospital (retail)
- ISS Mediclean (Healthcare) for Hollins Park Hospital
- ISS Mediclean (Healthcare) for Ipswich Hospital for their retail outlet
- ISS Mediclean (Healthcare) for Kingston Hospital retail service
- ISS Mediclean (Healthcare) for Macclesfield District General Hospital 4 retail outlets and patient food
- ISS Mediclean (Healthcare) for Newham Hospital for the daily hot menu in their staff restaurant
- ISS Mediclean (Healthcare) for Princess Royal University Hospital staff restaurant
- ISS Mediclean (Healthcare) for Queen Elizabeth Hospital for their retail outlet
- ISS Mediclean (Healthcare) for The Rotherham NHS Foundation Trust at Rotherham District General Hospital for patient food
- ISS Mediclean (Healthcare) for Royal Liverpool University Hospital for retail food
- ISS Mediclean (Healthcare) for West Middlesex University Hospital for Rumbles Restaurant
- Milestones Trust at Graeme Close
- Milestones Trust at Humphry Repton House
- Northampton General Hospital for patient meals
- Royal United Hospitals, Bath, NHS Foundation Trust for Lansdown staff/visitors restaurant
- Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust for inpatient wards and dining rooms at Royal Hallamshire Hospital, Weston Park Hospital and Northern General Hospital; and inpatient ward only at Jessop Wing Hospital
- South Lanarkshire Council community meals service, 14 sites
- St Monica Trust for 4 care homes: Cote Lane, Westbury Fields, Sandford Station, Monica Wills House
- Trustee's of The London Clinic for patient meals and their staff restaurant