Keep the pressure up for the bees: Email your MP
05 April 2013
On Friday 15 March, 2013 the EU failed to ban three neonicotinoid pesticides. In the voting process decision-makers failed to recognise the weight of evidence against bee-damaging, neonicotinoid pesticides. However EU member states will vote again on the proposed neonicotinoid ban in late April.
This second vote is the lifeline the bees of Europe desperately need. And now we are asking you to help us make sure Owen Paterson, Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, votes in favour of a ban and in favour of saving the bees.
Please help to persuade Owen Paterson by emailing your MP now.
1. Find your MP's contact details here
2. Ask them to tell Owen Paterson to vote in favour of the suspension. MPs receive many messages, ensure yours stands out by making it unique. Alternatively you can use our statement below:
Please help to save the bees. In April 2013 the EU will decide whether to suspend the neonicotinoid pesticides clothianidin, imidacloprid and thiametoxam. These pesticides are damaging bee populations across Britain and Europe, as evidenced by the EFSA report and evidence given by the Soil Association to the Environmental Audit Committee. Please ask Owen Paterson, Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, to stand with the majority of other EU member states and to vote in favour of a suspension.
3. Tell your friends and family on Facebook and Twitter to ask Owen to do the right thing!
Want to know what else you can do to keep Britain buzzing?
- Get up-to-the-minute bee news by following @SoilAssociation on Twitter
- Donate to Keep Britain Buzzing and get a free packet of bee-friendly seeds and a campaign badge
- Take practical action: take up beekeeping, use organic techniques in your garden and choose bee-friendly, organic produce when you shop, check out our website for more details.