Innovation Award 2013
23 July 2013
The Innovation Award celebrates outstanding innovators in farming and growing across the UK.
It recognises the achievement of individuals, teams, companies or organisations who are:
- Pioneering practical new approaches to farming and growing.
- Achieving real benefits for people, the planet or animal welfare.
- Promoting sustainable agriculture in line with organic principles.
The award is open to anyone who is doing these things, for example producers, community groups, scientists, IT developers, farming consultants, designers and engineers. The overall winner will receive a cash prize of £3,000 and two runners-up receive £1,000 cash each.
How to enter
Entries open on 12 July 2013 and will close on 9 August 2013.
Complete the entry form
Prepare a short video (maximum runtime 2 minutes) explaining what you or your team have been doing, and why you should get the Award. When saving your video, please make sure it is a format that can be uploaded to YouTube, such as .mov, .mpeg4, .avi, .flv etc. If you are not sure about the formats visit the YouTube troubleshooter.
Once you have submitted your entry form we will send you a link to our Dropbox so you can upload your video. The deadline to upload your entry is 9 August. Terms and conditions apply.
What happens next
The panel of judges will review all the entries and make a short list of 40. All shortlisted videos will be uploaded on to the Soil Association YouTube channel.
One person representing each of the shortlisted entries will be invited to the second day of the Soil Association Annual Conference in London on the 10 October, where they will pitch their work to small groups of attendees. The attendees will vote for the entry that they consider to be the best innovator. In the event of a tie, the judges will make the final decision.
A key requirement of entry is that the nominee or a representative of the nominee is present at the Conference to pitch their work and to talk to the press and participate in press-related activities.
Terms and conditions
1. The nominees must be UK-based
2. For all shortlisted nominations, a representative is required to attend Day 2 of the Soil Association Annual Conference in London on 10 October 2013. A free ticket to the Conference will be provided, but the Soil Association is not responsible for any expenses incurred to attend the conference (travel, food or accommodation etc). Further tickets can be purchased at the usual rate.
3. A shortlist of nominees will be drawn up by an expert panel. The shortlisted nominees will be asked to give a short presentation about their approach to small groups of attendees of the Conference who will vote for the most innovative nominee. In the event of a draw, the expert panel will make the final selection.
4. The judges' decisions are final and no correspondence will be entered into.
5. You are the owner of all the rights in the video and there are no disputes regarding the ownership of the content and you have authority to submit the content.
6. The video must not contain any defamatory, abusive or offensive content, or any software viruses or other malicious computer code.
7. By entering the Award, you agree to be named in the media and to participate in promotional and press activities associated directly with the Award.
8. By entering the Award, you agree to your video being posted on YouTube and other social media websites and being used in promotional activities in connection with the Award.
9. The winning entry will receive £3,000 cash and two runners-up will receive £1000 each. If you are successful the Soil Association will require your bank account details in order to transfer the funds. The transfer of funds will occur by 31st Dec 2013.
10. The Soil Association reserves the right to amend or cancel the Award at anytime.
1. The Award is not open to Soil Association Trustees, staff and their immediate families.